Monday, April 25, 2016

How Long Does Divorce Take?

So I know this blog is primarily for criminal defense law; but I seem to get alot of questions about divorce law this month -- I'll try and do more criminal law questions, I just need people to get me more questions because I'm no good on thinking about them on my own.  Each day that I work, I am able to handle everything that is thrown at me; however, they all have their factual nuances.  So, today is a question about divorce.

How long does it take and how much does it cost -- if the parties are in agreement on all issues.

Super questions for a Utah Divorce Lawyer.

I talk about it in my video here.



Here, The answers are pretty straight forward. In Utah it takes about 90 days to get your divorce decree from the date you file your petition (so long as both parties agree on all terms).  The reason I say that it is "about 90 days" is because judges sometimes take longer than  24 hours to sign a decree of divorce.

Honestly, some judges take 2-3 weeks to sign a divorce decree.

So how much does it cost is the case is uncontested.  At the time I'm writing this, the cost is $318 for the court filing fee, and our office charges $1,500 for an uncontested divorce. 

I hope you found this video and information helpful.  Sometimes, you just need to speak with an attorney.  When you do, give me a call and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for reading.



James "Jim" Balmforth, JD
Sandy Utah Divorce Lawyer
801-676-7308


No comments:

Post a Comment