Thursday, April 28, 2016

What was my *BIGGEST* Win as an attorney? 801-676-7308 Utah Criminal Lawyer explains...

Is it about money?

Yes, it's almost always about money...

except for when it's not.

So I'm going to share with you about my biggest win.  I was asked during an interview -- what was my biggest "win" as an attorney.  You know, I always thought about that in terms of money.  You know, millions of dollars right?  Yeah, that's what we all think of, first.

Then it hit me.

Watch the video and you'll understand.


Look, when it's all said and done, it's not always about the money.

Its about how we treat other people.

It's about doing the right thing.

This guy that I did that trial for.  We went before a jury trial.  This was a few years ago. He was wrongfully accused.  I've known the prosecutor for years and I'm telling him "look - this guy's innocent, just drop the charges" but you know how prosecutors are.  They are looking for the win.  They don't necessarily care about what I think or what you think.  They are just looking to put you away.  Plus, it looks good for their reporting.


But anyway, you know what happened if you watched the video.  I'm telling you, one of the most exciting moments of my life.  I battled the prosecutor in that case.  We went toe to toe and when all of the evidence was presented, the jury agreed -- "innocent on all charges" was the result.  My client, bless his heart, was a hot mess.  He started crying, and thanking me for everything I had done.  I could tell -- he was so grateful.  I was glad I could help him.  I think of all of the many cases I've handled and tried since 1991 -- this one was probably my most favorite "win"


I later told Jeremy Eveland about it and he couldn't believe it. He thought that the $6-7 million dollar case would be the biggest win for me. Then, after he thought about it for a few minutes, he agreed with me. The biggest win was not the money win, but it was the person win.

This is the reason I practice law. Yeah, we all need money to pay the bills, but if I can help someone. If I can keep an innocent person out of jail. If I can do the right thing, then it will have all been worth it.

If you've enjoyed the post, let me know.

If you have questions about a legal issue, drop me a line and I hope to answer it in an upcoming video.  If you have an emergency or immediate legal need, please call me directly 801-676-7308.

Thanks for visiting and watching,




James R. Balmforth, Esq.
Sandy Utah Criminal Defense Lawyer
801-676-7308

No comments:

Post a Comment